View Single Post
Old 01.02.2010, 11:04 AM   #9091
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
it wasn't, which is really saying something, seeing as how much i fucking hate Cabaret.

EDIT: I overstated things with the word 'hate', but it's a film i really really don't like.

Really? Why? I suppose part of the appeal for me is the huge crush on Liza I got when I saw it when it came out. I was 17. The rest of the school year I chased one of my sister's friends who I thought looked like Liza.

But I came to appreciate much more about the movie. I normally don't like musicals at all, but I like how this one works. You have the Cabaret setting, which is the natural outlet for the movies music, and at the same time, the Cabaret setting mirrors what is happening on the outside, not only in the characters but also in Germany.

I dunno. I think Joel Grey's performance is genius, Liza is relatively stunning, and Michael York's performance is spot on. I also like the "feel" for Berlin in the 30s that the movie captures.