View Single Post
Old 06.15.2006, 07:23 AM   #53
ithinkimissyou
stalker

ithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's asses
I d/l the album a while back... bought the cd as soon as it came out. First off - I like the bonus tracks, I hadnt heard them since a taped recording of Thurston doing them about 18 months ago.....

Which brings me to...

..... The production.... via a quickie review...

First off, I really like the album, the songs and melodies are really strong and as has been said by other people already - it's a grower. When I first listened to it though, I was completely underwhelmed - it sounded like a continuation of Sonic Nurse... what I've always loved about SY is their progression from album to album and the change in sounds, and when that wasnt smack in the face obvious to me I was disappointed. On further listening though I got really into it and while it still bears a certain similarity to Nurse - it is a different album.

Now the production.... I'm not a snob about production, but I know what kind of sounds I personally like. I eagerly awaited Sleepin Around coming on, because the live video of it on this site, even without Lee, completely and absolutely rocked. So then the song comes on and it sounds like it's after being recorded on a 30 year old cassette and then played down a telephone line to the cd factory. Now.... ok this was probably the sound they wanted, cool. But I dont like it (... it's just opinion). What makes me a bit curious about the crappy production is they kind of gave out about Jims production technique on Kim Gordon and the..... song in the Wire interview - now... while I'd agree with the criticism to a degree - I think they may as well have got Jim to produce sleepin around because it has that soft sound which I dont think lends itself to a noisey rocking track - like Sleeping Around and Kim Gordon.

I think otherwise the sound is pretty excellent and it lends itself particularly well to the downright beautiful Kim tracks.

But yeah on the louder tracks, I'd like more of a live feeling coming through, like it does on the rough bonus trax.

Anyway... I cant wait to see them live this year or next - it's always were they youth excel...

Thanks for a great record!