View Single Post
Old 01.24.2011, 08:18 PM   #171
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
GD, slight correction, I make approximately $30k a year from composing and I make up the rest of my wages with engineering. I was nominated for an award for sound design and composition in the same category as Nick Cave in an Australian theatre awards.

Apart from that, I agree with both Gliceman and somewhat Hevusa. I tend to master everything I do but because this is a compilation there are things that can be done with such diverse content and keep all the dynamic range intact. Firstly I hate modern mastering it is all shit too loud and overly limited which destroys the dynamic range, I much prefer the mastering techniques of the 60s and 70s which preserved everything in the mix. This was partly due to the fact that if things were mastered too loud in the vinyl era the needle would jump; obviously this has no effect these days, however, modern music released on vinyl is mastered differently to that released on CD.

Im not sure everyone on here understands what mastering actually is. If I was was to master this compilation I wouldn't go for brick wall limiting, however I would use light limiting to control the peaks. Also I would do some eq'ing to give a consistant sound across the whole compilation as well as ordering the tracks in a way that has some sort of flow as you would a mix tape.

As I have heard none of the proposed content I can't say whether or not I want to master it.

So where can I download all of the tracks? Has everyone got any notation with their tracks that says what they ideally would like with any mastering. As compilations contain such variable content it would be good to have some sort of notes from people. Also I would not be spending alot of time on the mastering, maybe a couple of days at best. Maybe about 30-40 minutes per track at worst.

I will not destroy anyones music at all as when I'm working even if I hate the bands or shows I'm mixing I still have to give the best mix possible as it is my reputation on the line. However my reputation doesn't mean shit on here as I don't know any of you personally so the benefit will be my outside ears listening to your tracks and making the best judgement.

Everyone just has to remember that if the content is shit it cannot be fixed my mastering or remixing. I would suggest though that once I listen to everything I will give some mix notes but nothing much in too much detail as it will end up being alot of work.

As far as preserving every piece's dynamic range there are techniques to do this without destroying any of the content. The idea really is about having a semi consitant sounding compilation with out overdoing things.

Cheers TP.

And stop all the flaming children.

Also I think that having a title suggestive of being part of the SY board is stupid. Just have a title and leave it at that. Just because everyone is on the board doesn't mean the comp should say so, kinda to me is like trying to buy credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Again, this shouldn't be the main priority at all. If push comes to shove I think the only person who has enough proper credentials to do something professional with the mastering is Terminal Pharmacy, so if he's up for it that's fine. He'd also be ideal because he's not a musician himself, so that doesn't create a bad atmosphere between people.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|