View Single Post
Old 09.13.2010, 04:25 PM   #23
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
I, like Glice also said, think the acoustic and electric guitar are two totally different animals. I don't own an acoustic, well I do but there aren't any strings on it right now and it needs a new nut after the last one split in half. But I don't get to play acoustic nearly as much as I get to play my electric. And when I do play acoustic it's on a friend's guitar and I have to play it upside down.

But certainly the moods evoked by either are alot different. Electric to me always seemed suited for exploring different types of sounds and the like. With the electric you can just mess with the distortion or all those levels and run it through some chorus and flange pedals or whatever if you want to come up with some wavy sound, or something like that. So you have all of those options on the table if you have some idea of a particular sound you want.

You can't really do that on an acoustic. You can't just decide to make it sound like a garbage compactor and then actually make it sound like one. So I think the things one thinks about in terms of what they want to do differ between the two. So in that regard when it comes to the acoustic one has to think more creatively about what they want to get out of the instrument because they don't have as much at their disposal. Kind of that making more out of less thing.

As well with acoustic (I think someone, maybe asp mentioned this already) it's not an instrument you can't um, be as much of an idiot on as you can on electric. With electric you usually have that gain and such to cover mistakes you make, not really the case with acoustic. The acoustic requires a heavier precision and delicacy.

I don't even describe the two with the same terms. I tend to identify acoustic playing with really indefinite words/phrases. Like this sounds like a bright sunny day, or this sounds like the inside of a buried coffin. Wheras with electric I'll think of the sounds like, well this sounds like a hunter getting mutilated by a grizzly bear, or a jackhammer, or the purr of a cat, just really concrete things.

Two really exciting instruments.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|