View Single Post
Old 05.30.2012, 02:38 AM   #16091
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Adam/Atsonicpark has a really interesting take on DePalma. Personally, I like his films but my ongoing problem with him as a director is that he seems to have trouble transcending his influences. Of that 'movie brat' generation, it doesn't take too much effort to identify the influences behind most of the directors involved but, while most managed to find their own voice too, I just don't think DePalma ever really has. I think Dressed to Kill is a great homage/tribute to Hitchcock/Argento but it doesn't really add anything particularly new or unique to them. In my opinion, obviously.

DePalma has his cinematic ups and downs, but "Casualties of War", "Femme Fatale" and "Blow Out" are marvelously sensationalistic pieces of work. I'd throw "Carlito's Way" in there as well with its completely fatalistic and moving finale. Sure, they crib from here or there, but I find it hard to deny the momentum a majority of his films build up. Kinda hoping his latest work, "Passion"- which should get a Toronto Film Fest unveling later this year- holds up to the best and not the worst like "Black Dahlia".
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|