View Single Post
Old 06.12.2008, 08:32 PM   #564
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I played bass in various bands in the late 80s-early 90s. One of them, Ascension, developed a bit of a following in the pages of Wire magazine. We mostly played with bands like Pinkie and the Puritans and Hair and Skin Trading Company. I half remember us supporting Huggy Bear on some ill advised Riot Grrl showcase and clearing the place out. I was really drunk at the time, having literally drunk a bottle and a half of Scotch before going on stage. I remember Pavement were playing at the Forum a few doors down and recall myself suggesting to the audience that they fuck off and see them instead, because we're absolute shit. Melly was there and can probably fill in the details. We also infamously played the Rough Trade shop in Covent Garden and was switched off after a minute because we were so loud. We put out some shit tracks on the White Trash Motherfuckers compilation and I left soon after that. The band then released some albums and supported Sonic Youth in London, causing a bit of a riot that made the pages of the NME. The other band half-worth mentioning was Cruiser, made up of me and members of Birdland and Thee Hypnotics, but we split up fairly early on because we seemed to loathe one another and I literally managed to set fire to my bass rig during a rehearsal one night. I then made drum and bass and techno records during the mid 90s, more as a hobby than anything else, and gave up on making music altogether after that. A couple of years ago I decided to try and teach myself to play guitar but found it a very slow process (TOTALLY different to playing bass) and I'm back playing bass now. Not in a band at the moment, just messing around on an eight track with a 'project' of sorts called Mario/Maria, in which everything seems to sound like World Domination Enterprises, regardless of what I might intend.

you were at the riot girl showcase at...ummm.....
subterrania???
with huggy bear and hole
in 1993???

or was it a different one?
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|