View Single Post
Old 07.01.2007, 08:37 PM   #11
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
well, yeah i think they are a singles band that were capable of doing great albums, like earth a.d. and the static age.

the thing is, as i mentioned on a thread a couple of weeks ago, i only get the urge to listen to the misfits once a year, therefore i don't own any misfits albums, rather, i downloaded and burnt the most songs i could (from winmx, i think, some of them have crap quality) into a cd-r. so my perspective can be a little different.

anyway, the misfits, for what they stand mostly to me, is this ghoulish punk rock that's catchy and fun but at the same time has this threatning shadow throughout that gives them real menace; for once, their guitars always seem to sound weird because they used crap guitars or self built guitars that had to be tuned for every song going through very fucked up amps, that really makes them special, especially considering their contemporaries (along with black flag, the bad brains and minor threat, one of the few u.s. hardcore/punk bands whose guitar sound is instantly recognizable); of all the misfits drummers, arthur googy has to be the worst, but if they had a better more imaginative drummer for these songs, they would end up feeling too busy and the charm would be gone, so cheers for one of the most incompetent yet spot on drumming ever. and then, on top of everything it's glenn fucking danzig who, despite being a grade a moron, asshole, arrogant, egocentric son of a bitch is one of the best punk/metal frontmen AND singers EVER, dude has so much vile for such silly songs as "20 eyes" and "skulls" that they are outstanding, the man shreds when he opens his mouth and he does have a larger than life personality.

the songs are all sing along yet completely powerful, they kinda remind me of the roir tape-era bad brains in a different way (retro horror instead of rasta funky?), most of their songs even threaten to become indistiguishable from one another yet they always end up having a personality of their own, especially those in walk among us. you can't just put the album and read or anything, you have to at least sing along (even if half the lyrics are completely unintelligeable, glenn might fucking mumble a lot but his attitude compensates, hence the awesome singer title), or play guitar or jump around or party; actually, the misfits are the ultimate party band when it comes down to it, they are fun, they are threatning, they are catchy yet dark and you can rock to them for hours on end. trust me, next time you throw a party and you want it to rock hard and get people to have a blast, get the coffin boxset or their whole discography and play that shit and i can almost guaranty you'll have the best party ever.

the misfits were a once in a lifetime thing, a lot of people have tried to come up with something like this but they either become too horror-based or they end up too goth or they end up too goofy. no one will ever play like the misfits although we can almost be sure people will be covering them for years to come.

ps: funny anecdote, i went to see the fakesfits a couple of years ago, of course they are not the misfits and i was aware of this, i went to see a tribute band that happened to have the guy who played bass for them plus the drummer for the ramones and the singer and guitarist of black flag, it was fun to sing along to the songs (plus ramones songs and flag's "rise above") and i might go again now that robo is playing too, i wonder what flag songs they will playing now?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|