View Single Post
Old 01.15.2007, 10:19 PM   #1
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
My quest of over 10 years results in serendipitous triumph!

For those of you who don't know The Whitey Album, "Two Cool Rock Chicks Listening to Neu" is one of the songs on that record. It features Kim and Suzanne Sasic, a friend of the band, having a conversation about managing bands, while a song by Neu plays in the background. At the end of the song, J Mascis plays a guitar solo, and then that segues into a sample of some sort of hip-hoppy music that I love, with a great bass line.

For years, I've been trying to figure out what that sample is. I even asked Thurston once, and he didn't know! He said it was some music they used to play at the beginning of a rap video show on BET back in the 80's. I think they probably just recorded it off the TV.

Recently, I happened to stop at McDonald's, and I heard that music coming from a woman's headphones. I asked her what it was. Despite being in NYC, she didn't tell me to fuck off, but revealed that it was "Five Minutes of Funk" by Whodini! Since then, I've listened to that song, and it's basically the same, but on the Whitey Album, there's a lead guitar part. This makes me think one of two things:

1. J Mascis also soloed over that sample, although it doesn't sound like it.
2. Whodini sampled that music from something else, which featured the lead guitar.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my discovery. The chances of running into that woman at that moment were a million to one.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|