View Single Post
Old 09.16.2017, 10:16 AM   #40910
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
do you know any pro photographer that works out of an iphone? come on. apple may hire some people for teh commercials but i don't know anyone who makes it the centerpiece of their professional workflow.

it's a nice consumer device but no more. it can do the occasional great trick sure. you can shoot a whole movie on it as a gimmick. but why?

spending a grand or two on it is nice if you can do it, but nobody that i know producing media "has to" have an iphone x to shoot stills/video

people have been getting around the dslr issue with mirrorless cameras for a while now. aps-C or mft are doing great. they've small and lightweight and can scale to nice rigs. a real lens still makes a big difference. shooting raw as well. the iphone x can't replace a nice macro or a 600mm tele or a fish eye etc etc not today satan. and sensor size is still sensor size.

so, if you *just* need the simplicity of ios (i do, i do miss it tons) the SE is both necessary and sufficient. it's the essential thing. the rest is just gloss and doesn't fit right in the pocket and why pay more for gloss. im not a glossy sort of person. im looking at it from a technical perspective and i'm thinking "nice glossy feature but irrelevant for me." 3d emojis lol. i'd pay $10 for them-- not $1200

eta: the 7plus already has the separate zoom lens. nice and all, but i sure dont *need* one.

last, if i need a big screen, i just jack it to the tv

SE or nothing for me

i'd rather spend the extra $600 in a couple of fun m43 lenses

no, this one: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417332,00.asp

with change to spare

or 2 new basic ipads xD ($300/ea--im loving it)

Are you a shutterbug, Slambang?

I'm not a photographer. I just have to take photos all the time for work. But you know, you're right... it's not essential. I'm just saying if I had a fuckton of money and didn't need other things, I'd probably get one and it would come in handy for work. At least, if the thing really does what it says it can do.

Knowing that there will be another thing in no less than one year makes it even less "essential." I'm just saying, if somehow it was possible to have a true DSLR-level camera and all the rest together in one phone, and I could afford it, I'd buy one. But I'm not going to buy one.

I actually don't think work will force them on us. That would mean spending money, and my employer HATES stupid shit like spending money on anything ever, let alone frivolities. We have two DSLR cameras for our 8-person editorial staff. So, yeah.

The SE is definitely the best thing if all you want is iOS in a non-outdated device. I don't think they're going to make another one, but for the next year at least, the SE will still be able to receive OS updates and run new apps (if in a slightly less flashy way). Plus it's pretty cheap.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|