View Single Post
Old 01.21.2016, 04:35 PM   #49
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
yes, music is music. genres come and go, they have their peaks and they fade away. They rarely if ever come back to the forefront of culture. In 20 years hip hop will be "Old people's" music and the kids will thing that the Boom Bap, Boom Boom Bap, sounds as played and inert and lifeless as I find the fucking Eagles.

Remember, "punk" is not a musical genre, but a style of presentation, which is why it can encompass bands as varied as Ramones and Butthole Surfers....

"punk" instrumentation is largely just regular old rock n roll instrumentation.

The saddest thing I see is going to local underground shows and having to sit through yet another band trying to sound like Bad Religion. Jesus fuck, it is OVER people!!!!!!!

Ok, but dude- "boom bap" is already old folks' music. Oldish, anyway. People our age (mid thirties - forties) are the youngest folks who truly dig that style of hip-hop.

I read an interview with Young Thug where he straight up said he didn't like Jay-Z (?!) ... He "recognizes his influence" but that "wasn't his era." And in a lengthy editorial I found on Flipboard not long ago titled something like "The Old School I Killing Hip-hop," some kid ranted for several paragraphs about how Wu Tang Clan and Tribe and Biggie didn't matter anymore, saying that the current marble-mouthed jibber jabber of Future and Young Thug represented an all time peak for creativity in hip-hop.

Sorry to get off topic, but I felt compelled to point out that "boom bap" is probably already considered as ancient as the Eagles.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|