View Single Post
Old 08.30.2016, 10:41 AM   #19383
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I had just watched the TNG 2-parter Time's Arrow (where they find Data's head in a cavern on Earth that had not been touched for 500 years, and they end up going back in time to meet Mark Twain), and that two part episode had more intellectually stimulating ideas and dilemmas than all the recent Trek reboot films.

I have to say I enjoyed the writing of the individual trek characters better this time. Pegg and whoever else helped him write it seem to understand the inner workings of the interpersonal relationships that make people love Trek. The failures were more in terms of the plot devices. (plus I HATE it that they feel like they have to destroy the enterprise in every fucking movie.)

Hah! Yeah. That poor ship! I mean, just the events of the TNG episode "Cause and Effect" alone see (or imply) the destruction of then Enterprise-D, like, 20 fucking times.

But, y'know, it's always destroyed, rebuilt, destroyed, rebuilt. And I think it's only happened in three movies, if you count Beyond. I know it was blown to shit in Search for Spock and Generations, but I think the rest of the time it merely sustained some heavy damage, from, I don't know, plummeting to Eart's surface or some such thing.

Tell me (and don't worry about spoilers because I don't give a shit, I'll always love Star Trek) ... does the Enterprise "return" in some form at the end of the movie? Or do they manage to rebuild it somehow? It would be really hard to imagine a 50th anniversary film that didn't end with the/a(n) Enterprise soaring off to boldly go do stuff.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|