Thread: Religion thread
View Single Post
Old 11.03.2017, 07:36 PM   #54
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
That's an unsustainable position. Under your definition, EVERYTHING would be religion unless one is a candyass about it.

That’s kind of what I’m saying. Looking back at all the college religion classes I took, a common opinion was that a FUCKTON of things can be considered religions/religious. There is no one umbrella definition that meets all cases unless you simplify it to just be a belief system about that which can’t be known, soecifically what our purpose is and why we are here, with a certain amount of organization or community or ritual. Unitarianism is a religion that doesn’t have a solid position on the afterlife... most Unitarians surely believe there is one, but it’s not in the bylaws. Ideas on creation diverge too. Which leads me to assert that belief, organization and “big ideas” are basic elements of religion. Hence the baseball analogy. Rob offered up all of the above, except for organization. But it sounds like you’re on board, so...

Not a false equivalency. Rob was making blanket statements about what life/existence is/isn’t, presenting them as truisms. That’s one of many (countless) characteristics of “religion” as a construct.

If religion is a thing, it’s a system of belief about life and creation and whatever is or isn’t beyond (before/after) existence. Rob has a religion cookin’. Believe it.

Really in order to discuss it productively, we need to establish a definition for the purposes of our discussion that meets the requirements of all involved. My opinion is that Rob has about 80% of a religion at this point.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|