View Single Post
Old 05.29.2012, 07:45 AM   #16087
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I was thinking about your comments on Argento being a better producer than director, and I was reminded that I kind of thought the same after watching the whole of a Giallo TV series he once produced called ''Una Porta Sul Buio'', which translates as ''A Door on the Darkness''. All episodes last about 1 hour and can be found on Youtube, albeit in non-subtitled versions. The series was commissioned by RAI TV after he made his first 3 movies, and all but one ('' Il Tram'') are non-Argento directed. His episode is pretty good, actually, and makes great use of a tram’s movement and its internal switching lights at night to frame the murderer, but ''Il Vicino di Casa'' (The Neighbour), directed by Luigi Cozzi and apparently inspired by Hitchcock’s ‘’Rear Window’’, has to be my favourite. I LOVE how the murderer gets caught because the two delivery men in the morning hear a baby crying who had been sleeping like an angel all night, miraculously, while his parents fell foul of their new neighbour after their car got them stuck inside their new, empty house overnight. It’s almost all filmed at night and the size and lighting of the building where most of the action takes place adds that nice claustrophobic touch.

I'll definitely have a look at those once my connection speed is sorted out (First World problem etc). I've watched a few Gialli in their original Italian and have to say that I'm rarely any more confused seeing them like that than I am when they're dubbed or subtitled. I'm tempted to think there's a level of sheer incomprehension to the giallo that's almost a condition of the genre itself.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|