View Single Post
Old 12.03.2008, 01:55 PM   #80
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
No, it would be more like saying White Light/White Heat was one of your favorite punk records, which I probably would say if pressed.

I always wonder with hip hop history why the Last Poets, and in particular that album, doesn't get stronger mentions. The mix of vocal styles, the content, the lyrics (note their reclamation of the word "nigger" decades before NWA). Yeah, they're not based firmly in funk beats since funk hadn't happened yet, but the first major evolution of hip hop from those funk roots was towards jazz, where the Last Poets had resided to begin with.

I understand your choice here, but yeah, funk had happened, I mean that record came out in 70 or 71 and funk was happening. Other great groups like this were: Gil Scott-Heron,Watts Prophets and Kane. My favorite cut from that record (Last Poets) is ******'s Are Scared Of Revolution.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|