View Single Post
Old 02.04.2018, 10:26 AM   #22126
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Hey sev I watched 50/50. It was good. Sad. Very grounded.

Anna Kendrick was adorbs as usual.

Yeah, it was ok... pretty sad, glad for the not-sad ending.

What’s hilarious to me, if I didn’t say this already, is that the movie is about a 20-something idealistic dude who apparently makes a living wage and enough to afford extensive cancer treatment while living alone, in *Seattle* and working a bottom-tier gig in *public radio.*

Judd Apatow has a great handle on the mindset of the generation his films target (people born between, maybe, 1980 and 2002... which apparently are called “millennials” or something ) but he has a SHIT grasp on the realities of any demographic that isn’t white, urban, educated and lucky as fuck. That show of his, Love, which I think is kind of brilliant, portrays fucking *Los Angeles* of all places as a weirdly affordable place where important things happen to young white people exactly 100% of the time. Not a brown or black face to be seen in the entire two seasons of the show, except for the quippy “wise Black sidekick” who knows he’s a “wise black sidekick” and just tries to be the best possible stereotype he can be (ugh).
Love is a great show, on par with Girls (hey, another Apatow-thing about white artsy types!) but I don’t think it will resonate with anyone who doesn’t fit into that narrow white-urban-upper-class-educated-improbably-successful-humanities-workin’-selfish-brat demographic.

Anyway, yeah... as long as Apatow’s doing stuff about privileged white intellectuals, he’s freaking Woody Allen (who, let’s be honest, does/did pretty much all the exact same things).

That’s a longer reply than you were expecting. Sorry.

This is just one of the many reasons why I think “The Big Sick” is actually the best thing Apatow’s ever been attached to, as it focuses on the realistic culture clash between Pakistani and American cultures. This isn’t because of Apatow (who only produces); it’s because the film is based on real experiences of co-writer and star Kumail Nanjiani. Still, it’s an evolution for a guy with such a limited range to even want to be associated with it, and it should have been given a Best Picture nomination. I don’t think he’s ever going to be involved in a better film than that.

Big Sick... good stuff.
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|