View Single Post
Old 09.02.2017, 06:00 PM   #40447
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yo in the previous page i didn't mean to criticize the 12 step movement in the least

what i meant to criticize is the foolish assumption that the world at large is your support group

2 very different things all together

group therapies and 12 step groups and other have a series of rules and rituals and admission requirements that the tv screen or a message forum simply don't.

so this is why they can't be equated. they may appear the same to the unwary and some aspects might have percolated into popular culture, but they are not the same in the least

one is a sincere collective effort towards healing and the other is just a spectacle for greedy audiences

as for my knowledge of the 12 step movement it's actually quite limited BUT i really really really liked the bradshaw book i read about it and it was priceless for me. "bradshaw on: the family" is essential for anyone who wants to understand dysfunction. yes reads a bit cheesy because it's not "intellectual" but it's very good.

Understood. I, however, *was* criticizing the shit out of 12-step. Actually, no... not 12-step itself, but "recovery" culture and how it pertains to NA and AA.

Yes I have people close to me who have been personally affected by this, and I've witnessed a fuck-ton of it first hand. No I don't wanna talk about it.

I knew you weren't criticizing. I just got to bitching. And hey, isn't this thread for irrelevant stuff anyway?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|