View Single Post
Old 02.23.2017, 01:58 PM   #20717
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm hoping we're all in agreement that Raging Bull is a stone-cold masterpiece because it is. I just think that with Goodfellas Scorsese made something that isn't only flawless (IMO), it appears to have had no precedent. I can't watch it and relate it to any film made before it, not just in terms of gangster movies but movies period, whereas I can see clear links in Raging Bull to stuff like neo-realism, Brando, film noir. I'd go as far as to say that Raging Bull was a film he had to make to really unburden him of his obsession with film history, allowing him to finally tackle film on his own terms. Raging Bull is like a farewell love letter to all those obsessions.
man, you've been on a roll lately with your aesthetic judgments. seriously good observations and connections.

i'm gonna go think about the sources of goodfellas a bit. haven't watched it too recently.

i'll say this though, off the cuff: while i'm not generally fond of too much talking in movies, here the voiceover by the narrator is essential. it's what holds all the pieces together together. that's not straight-up from detective novels like blade runner (blade runner works better without the voiceover). it's something else. anyway. off to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Alright, best Scorsese films from each decade Go!

i'll need a moment. i have to go think about the "influences" on goodfellas ha ha ha.

hmm...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|