View Single Post
Old 11.03.2011, 10:32 PM   #1
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, so I am a long time fan of self-titled. I've loved it since it first came out. It reminded me, simultaneously, of Beck, with a pinch of Pavement, a salute to Nirvana, and a really eerie and intoxicatig last few tracks.

If you read my posts, you know that I'm interested in music history, and that I often compare artists to other artists from other eras.

Then I heard 13 and I thought I was dreaming. What an album! Influences from Devo and the Stooges to Spiritualized and Spacemen 3. A really fascinating album, mildly experimental in a Beatle-esque way. The Beatles and Blur are both pop bands are heart, who love to make challenging (but isolated, compaxt) litte evolutionary steps.

Think tank is incredible. I need to listen more, but it might.... just might... be as good or better than 13.

I haven't delved into anything before that, except for Parklife, which I found boring and derivative.

Any suggestions on pre-"Blur" Blur albums that might tickle my fancy a bit more, eh?

Some reviewer said they were the biggest UK band of the '90s. I want to know more about this. I lived in London for a time, but know nothing about what the English consider to be appropriately representative of themselves. It's surprising that an album as out-there and bizarre (FOR A POP RECORD... easily digestible to any Sonic Youth or Spacemen3 album, achieved success . Good shit.

What's Blur's legacy, and what are the early albums i should look into if I love B,13, and TT so much,
Thanks
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|