View Single Post
Old 04.21.2006, 12:51 PM   #35
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656

look malkmus even ripped off his image... they couldve been separated at birth!!!!!!!!

There is a certain similarity (well, sort of!):

THe problem is that The Fall have such an identifiable and original sound; very few people sound anything like them, so when someone does sound like them, the claims of rip-off are inevitable.

The Fall's massive influence on Pavement is undeniable, absolutely clear in song style, structure, lyrics, artwork and vocal delivery. Having said that, I think that basically Pavement took The Fall's concept and made it very American. I also think there's a difference in that Malkmus's words are written ads lyrics, whereas MES's were originally intended as poetry (ie without musical accompaniment) - I think that shows through to an extent.

It's inevitable that we are influenced by what we like, and it happens across all art forms - I think whether that influence constitutes 'homage' or 'rip-off' depends upon how you feel about the two subjects.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|