View Single Post
Old 07.20.2012, 08:18 PM   #26
Starcat
bad moon rising

Starcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Fact! Can anybody say there are some facts in music? I think they´re opinions.

Can you describe me what those stylistic changes are? I think SY started with making some sense in the middle of chaos and noise (1st album, CIS, BMR) then added melodies (that I love the most) then (EVOL, Sister). In DDN they added elements of conventional rock and in Washing Machine they went back to more experimental style. The high point of experimentalism was NYC ghosts and I am glad they again took melodic elements back in Murray Street. So there has been changes, but I won´t call them stylistic changes.

SY can make album full of country-covers or even dull Chris Rea-style ballads if they like and it´s none of fucking business.

Every change you identified there IS a stylistic change, and each of those stylistic changes is a FACT about SY's music.

I'm not about to track down Kim and Thurston and demand that they make another Daydream Nation... But that doesn't mean I can't point out the changes that they've undergone and say why I didn't like some of them. You bemoan the fact that there's not enough SY in SYG, but dismiss this important debate about them. SY is still my favourite band, which is why I respect them enough to call them out when they make albums like Rather Ripped or songs like Superstar. As a fan, I have no guilt about making that my business.

Starcat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|