View Single Post
Old 09.26.2009, 10:19 PM   #28
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
See, Polvo have always struck me as the kind of shit that SY fans (who largely have shit for ears) listen to, shitly.

They're catchy, they're weird, they've got some hard-rocking moments, and they don't really sound like anyone else. That makes them unique and special to a lot of people. There are very few original bands that combine those elements that we all love so much. So they get attention.

I like all their LPs and EPs, though only a few of them keep my interest when I listen to them. The others hold my interest for a song or two and then kind of go into background music.

I was really big on them for the past year and a half, but my interest has kind of waned a bit and other bands have moved ahead of them.

I realize in the 90s quirky indie bands were a dime-a-dozen. Quirky indie was the garage rock of the time. Someday someone will make a comp called Grains filled with Polvo, Archers of Loaf, Pavement, Pixies, Breeders, Guided By Voices, Built to Spill, Superchunk, etc. And 50 years from now, someone will try their damnedest to find that 7" of Web in Front in some flea market.

Still, there were a few garage rock bands that are worth listening to more than just their hits, and I'd say the same thing about those 90s bands, and I'd include Polvo in that group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Man Or Astroman do indeed rule, but EEVIAC is my least favorite album by them (you know, actual album, not one of their random tour only discs of nothing but spaceship sound effects). Actually, their peel sessions are my favorite thing they did, along with EXPERIMENT ZERO. I wonder what happened to those dudes... Servotron and Causey Way ruled, and then they all just kinda disappeared.

Eeviac and Spectrum of an Infinite Scale are the two albums that got me into Man or Astro-man? Really the first stuff of theirs I was exposed to. So it's got a special place in my heart, though I love everything.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|