View Single Post
Old 08.23.2006, 03:52 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am a vinyl junkie. It all depends on what I play my music on. from 1981-86 I owned vinykl and played it on my dad's turntable.
from 1986-1992 all i bought were cassettes which were being sold back to indie record stores by people buying the then new CD format. so I had boxes and boxes of cassettes. I still have them. great indie rock stuff. REM, buttholes, so nic youth, dinosaur, dead milkmen etc etc
Around 1993 I was given a turntable streo system by my then wife. I creamedy pants. I bought vinyl again.
that machine broke down sometime in 2000 so I purchased a used, heavy as hell piopneer turntable from sound exchange in houston. I have been using that for years now. I have it hooked up to a quality receuiver but I have no CD player hooked up to it. so now, all I buy is vinyl, unless it does not come in vinyl and I must have it.

I love my fucking records. I have two full to th brim 14"x14"x3' crates of my rock n funk stuff. It is divided up alphabetically by artist, and then chronologically within each artist. i like to keep my CD's and records like that. I like to see the chronology of each artits/groups output.
I have another 300 or so jazz and classical records. those are in no order whatsoever.
I have two 7" single boxes full, divided up alphabetically with cards I made dividing up the letters of the alphabet A-Z. That makes it much easier to look through the 7" singles and put them back onc eI play them.
I need to do the same thing to my records.

I am no completist, but there are certain exceptions. i will buy anything the youth put out, anything the butthole surfers put out. If bands are defunct and I like them I try to buy all their output (unwound, polvo, dinosaur etc.)
I love to sort through dolla rbins. 99.999% of it is crap or i aready own it or it is in shit condition, but those rare gems, oh my god those arre gems. I love to rifle through stacks and stacks of 7" singles. but I will NOT buy a single no matter how old it is withoutsome sort of prtective sleeve.

I will NOT buy and album, no matter how much I want it or been looking fro it or love it, if it has any scratch on it. surface abrasion is one thing I can deal with, but actual scratches, fuck that. it is not worth it to me to spend any money no matter how .little, on an album that will skip or pop or jump.

I will be at the austin record convention in late october. see you there!

Oh, and any used album i gt I clean throuroughly before playing it.