View Single Post
Old 01.09.2017, 12:09 PM   #1958
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
I could not agree more. Yes, it will be interesting to see what they do at a smaller club. The show here was still pretty elaborate at a decent sized theater-type setting. I hate to be too pissy and negative towards them. I still love seeing them and all, I just wish Wayne would shut the fuck up sometimes and get on with it.

Hey, no worries my friend. We ALL wish that about Wayne Coyne. He's such a fucking shit-talker and megalomaniac. I love (hate) hearing him wax pedantic and philosophical about rock n' roll and substances and consciousness and the Lips' music. He sounds like an ass, and he does a lot of asshole things. If someone were to just read about him, follow his twitter, and watch interviews, one would have no idea how crushingly beautiful the Flaming Lips can be, or how charming and full of life their music is (mostly).
In that respect he's a bit like the Kanye West of indie rock. People think him a fuckwad, with good reason, and often miss out on the sometimes disarming emotional poignance of the band's best work.

Seriously, I agree with you 100%, and I'm a HUGE Lips fan from WAY back. When Sonic Youth broke up, they essentially became my favorite living band (not sure that's true anymore, haven't been on a Lips kick in a long time), and I've seen them so many times I've lost count, between '95 and 2013. But he drives me batty sometimes. Turns me off of the music even.

What's funny is that he knows he's not the real musical visionary talent behind the band. He's the mad conductor. The public image, etc. I too wish he would dial it down and just focus on the music. Because when they really focus, they are capable of making transcendent music. Whether it's over-the-top synth-prog rock ("The Gash") or stripped down noise rock ("Shine on Sweet Jesus") or, y'know, dance-pop with a dash of noise ("Ego Trippin'," "Are You a Hypnotist?") They're a serious band, and I'd love to see them spend more time in that mindset.

Also, I'm getting a little old for big explosive noisy strobelight filled concerts. Just being honest. They don't hold as much appeal for me now as they once did.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|