View Single Post
Old 08.05.2015, 04:09 PM   #4088
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Gimple
yeah those are fair points.

altho he did invent soylent which will soon be cheaper and more widely available than fast food

right. it's not quite there yet. $2.50 for 400-calorie "meal" is $12.50/day for 2000 calories. not sure of shipping prices? average a family of 4 (some eat less, growing kids eat more), it's $50/day or $1500/month.

same family would get food stamps for $4/day/person or roughly $480. that's the established "basic" level.

so you'd save $1000/month by foraging the supermarket like a donkey looking for feed, lol (that was funny).

that makes soylent a convenience not a basic food at this point.

not to say that nothing can be learned from it--

i currently use whey and caseine powders as backup "meals". my own soylent-- i blend it "deluxe" with frozen berries/cherries and some natural peanut butter they're pretty great,d take only minutes to make + clean, etc etc. probably costs the same as a bottle of soylent 2.0 but i understand it tastes a lot better.

so one can approximate without copying. which is what i appreciate about extreme experiments-- they point towards a direction, not necessarily a destination. they don't have to be followed to the letter-- but we can learn things from them. like reading the recovered log of an anctarctic expedition and realizing the power of pemmican.

similarly, i get ideas from bodybuilders and downscale them for my non-hypertrophic needs.

--

eta:

if i could get soylent for $1/dose (more than what i pay for complete protein), i'd seriously look into it. i wouldn't mind having to blend it myself because shipping bottled water when we already have municipal sources is ultra-wasteful.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|