View Single Post
Old 02.08.2018, 12:47 PM   #50384
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Vitalogy sounded fucking weird in 1994. Like "Bugs" and stuff like that was weird. But it's so so awesome. I think I used to skip over "Bugs" back then btw. Nowadays I actually love that one haha. It's so stupid and obnoxious but I love it.

I feel like even No Code was declining as far as their relevance went. I totally loved that album when it came out but I don't really remember my circle of friends (anecdotal, yeah) or radio really playing "Hail Hail" or anything as much as they were still playing stuff from the first 3 PJ albums at the time.

And Yield was the first time I realized "okay, so now PJ isn't really popular anymore" - I remember being so excited about Yield and going to the store to buy it the day it came out and kind of realizing that "nobody" else (again, anecdotal) seemed to even know there was a new PJ album. It was the first album I guess that just seemed like it was made for a set fan base and not really for the world at large.

Maybe.

Yield also has a special nostalgic place for me. Just y'know the time it came out. And I remember picking up Single Video Theory and watching that a bunch of times so that whole song cycle just really clicks w/ me.

I had basically the same experience. Vitalogy was an EVENT, partially because it was the first post-Vs album, and Vs was a huge event. But Vitalogy sold half what Vs did. Still successful as fuck, but the decline was coming.

I remember No Code differently. There was a lot of buildup for it, and a lot of my friends were in the store on day 1 getting copies. MTV made a big deal about it on the news, and went through the booklet and stuff. But it did not really land. It still hit number 1, but only sold ⅕ of Vitalogy numbers (I think?), which sold a few million less than Vs.

Yield had a big campaign, lots of Yield signs in places like Tower Records, but it definitely put a period at the end of the “biggest rock band” era, if No Code hadn’t already.

They basically started out as the new Stones, and became more of a Grateful Dead kind of band with a Deadhead-like following over the next half-decade.

Still, lots of great Pj memories. Not a favorite anymore, but I’ll take Yield over ducking Adore any day. And I’ll take Vitalogy over whatever the fuck U2 was doing around that time.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|