View Single Post
Old 09.22.2015, 05:33 AM   #19074
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i can't see that youtube right now and i yet have to confirm this but what i suspect you really like is wit. i do too btw.

I think that's it. Fields was certainly a great wit, Allen too, and Phil Silvers. Plus I love reading Oscar Wilde, Dorothy Parker, so I think you've nailed it there.

Quote:
but also the stupid stuff. like, really dumb non-verbal shit-- monkeys. stooges. zucker brothers. farrelly brothers. mel brooks. shit, piss, boogers, fart noises, untimely erections-- the stupider the better. also the grotesque-- gargantua & pantagruel, etc. anything that reveals the ridiculous ape behind the human facade.

Brooks is a perfect case for me. I love his standup but can't stand his movies - with the possible exception of The Producers. Blazing Saddles left me cold. I appreciate the art and comedic intelligence that goes into more slapstick kinds of humour, as well as their potential for subversion, but it does nothing for me as entertainment. Essentially, I suppose, I 'watch' comedies more with my ears than with my eyes.

Quote:
i think i fucked up a small detail-- the dog that eats the fish i'm now pretty sure is at the beginning of "mon oncle." under the cart. hilarious! though there's another street dog in holiday, which moves away when the car drives through at the beginning. but yeah, holiday + mon oncle i laughed all throughout.

Yeah, he seemed to like dogs, both for what they were and as metaphors. He's great, similar to Chaplin but far funnier. He's rightly celebrated as a great visual filmmaker but also really innovative in his use of sound (interesting connection to above, about watching more with my ears than my eyes). The interview scene in Mon Oncle, for example, the squeaky door in Hulot's Holiday, the tennis balls. But they also have a quite easy going, free spirited charm to them, Holiday, especially, which kind of transcends comedy.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|