View Single Post
Old 10.20.2012, 06:07 PM   #16381
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Dated has nothing to do with being of its age, which is inevitable, but being stuck in, and only relevant to it. Films like L'avventura, L'Eclisse, La Notte are clearly of their time but also manage to feel current in a way that I just don't think Blow Up does. It'll never be anything other than a 'sixties film', for me, which is something I'd never say about films Antonioni made earlier in that same decade.

And seriously, that you consider L'avventura 'quite enjoyable' while calling Blow Up 'great' is akin to preferring the wrong Ronaldo. I'm sorry, it just is.

ha ha ha -- the wrong ronaldo!

don't be so literal, i judge l'avventura to be the better film, but admit it, it's hard to digest, not easy to like, and it is hard to watch simply because each take lasts for fucking ever. if you let it seep in however you can enjoy it-- it's not like "oh the thrills!" though, it's a quiet deliciousness that makes a lot of demands on the viewer.

regarding blow-up, it's more commercial, more easily entered, but you peel off layers and get to the real meat, and to me it's a great movie. part of it is a sort of period piece, sure, like watching, i don't know, the lion in winter, or spartacus? you know, some historical shit, "life before AiDS". then there's teh whole aspect of the emptiness of the photographer's life which is, you know, surface "awesome" and cool for its day, but pretty horrid and boring and pointless, and more absurd 50 years later. and then there's the whole murder mystery which unlike, say, rear window, isn't a matter of finding the truth from signs, but the signs, being mediated and altered, call into question the whole reality of what is what, and that antonioni took from cortazar, nd las babas del diablo is a great short story.

whoa, barca playing w/ weird orange shirts. gtg.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|