View Single Post
Old 01.20.2016, 07:59 PM   #47728
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
These comments are very odd. First, I can think of barely a handful of bands active today who ROCK in such a driving, powerful, pummeling, beautiful, and artistic way as No Age — art both as something you'd expect to soundtrack an installation in a gallery and as instantly accessible rock & roll. (And which band do we know that used to navigate "low" and "high" art so seamlessly?). Even if they were only a sum of their influences they'd be fantastic —only a masochist wouldn't want to hear Damaged mixed with MBV's "Touched"— but they're so much more, punk fury floorboarding a truck of studio/effects tricks wizardry with delicious hooks galore and actual brains for a change. Four practically flawless albums so far that make you search for the boatload of tapes, CD-Rs, 7"s and weirder formats in which they've released even more great music. Even if you don't skateboard.

As for "I wonder what's up with No Age these days", I can't tell whether it means "Oh, those has-beens" or you're genuinely at a loss about their current activities. The former alternative is downright deranged; the latter, abstruse, since they do have a website and an Instagram account and all the bullcrap one expects from bands these days.

Whoah, whoah, whoah-- take it down a notch!

Why in god's nam would you think that I was being sarcastic? Do I usually express my hatred of a band with idle ruminations? Do I, Severian, incessant promoter of the Flaming Lips and other shit that hasn't been "cool" since 2002, strike you as the kind of guy who would use the term "has-been?"

Settle yourself!

I was literally wondering when a new studio album might drop from the band. Since, you know, it's been three years since An Object.

I don't fuck with Instagram, and most of my music news comes from obvious places (here, Stereogum, pitchfork, blah), because I have no time whatsoever to regularly visit the official webpages of every band I like just to check and see if a new album is coming out.

I love No Age! I cannot believe you didn't take this as a given, considering the bands I tend to praise. So cool your jets, buddy!

also, I've always considered them more of a modern day Hüsker Dü. Which is kind of like saying Damaged-era Flag + MBV, innit? No Age's sound has a shit ton of Flip Your Wig in it. Moreso than just about anything else, in my opinion.

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up. Though the misunderstanding seemed to be entirely one-sided.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|