View Single Post
Old 02.20.2018, 05:08 PM   #22132
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
yeah there are DC animated movies that I'm NOT talking about. I'm specifically talking about the (currently) 30 movies that make up the DC Universe Animated Originals, which is a series that started in 2007.

Yes, the art style remains the same.... because it's supposed to be a single universe. So they sort of make Batman look like the same Batman in every movie. And so on. And keep the same voices. I mean it makes sense to me from a "shared universe" standpoint, even if you don't like the changing of art from various books.

Those animated series or Warner Bros animated movies aren't part of this. Like there were some movies connected to Batman: The Animated Series or Justice League series... (I loved B:TAS, btw) but this series is generally more 'serious' and dark and several entries have been rated R even. Like Killing Joke for example.

(Speaking of, that one gets a lot of hate - mostly for the added Babs Gorden scene in the beginning, which I *get* but at the same time I think they were trying to show an attachment to her and Bruce is all. So I mean, I get it. It's just people are easily upset if you mess w/the classics and this is a classic. But ultimately, I liked the Killing Joke movie quite a bit).

I've seen a bunch of them, first in random order - ended up seeing more of the newer ones, and have now been going back and watching them all in chronological order. So the ones I've done that with so far are -

1. Superman: Doomsday
I totally loved this one. Yes, it's obviously condensed from the Death Of story, but it's awesome. And it's actually sad. Like the scene where Lois goes and visits Clark's aunt... great stuff.

2. Justice League: The New Frontier
You said you didn't like this one,but I thought it did a good job. The intro to Green Lantern, the Martian Manhunter stuff...

3. Batman: Gotham Knight
As I've said, I thought it was pretty meh. I didn't like the art styles here personally. And the whole thing was basically a re-hash of an ep of Batman: The Animated series from like the first season.

4. Wonder Woman
Excellent. Really great. Based on Gods & Monsters, but has a lot of the same origin stuff as in the eventual live action movie, and then goes off in a diff direction for the ending. Recommended.

5. Green Lantern: First Flight
So good. This one made GL cool to me. I was never really interested in that character. But this was like about 'a new cop on his first day on a beat' or whatever. And then there's crooked stuff going on in the Corps. This one really surprised me.

I've got Superman/Batman: Public Enemies and Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths sitting at home for me. After that I might be hitting up the library to keep the chrono viewing in order, though I do have probably another half-dozen random entries already, and though there is something fun about picking up copies of each as I go.