View Single Post
Old 10.08.2017, 08:42 AM   #21652
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
eta left is desaturated right is black and chrome

but was reading about the process of turning color film into bw print and its more complicated--they do manipulate color also before desaturating, the same way that a color filter would change a bw (film exposure by altering the part of the spectrum that provides luminance.)

so a lot more science into that. not sure what the mist dude did. BUT considering how most people watch tv, might not matter much for a home dvd.

Yeah, I was watching a video about color grading in modern digital cinematography the other day, and it’s pretty intricate stuff. The whole “look” comes from the grading, which takes longer with digital because you’re dealing with raw images, that suck up all the information in the color spectrum. Film apparently doesn’t work like this (not sure why), but is more expensive to shoot with and more expensive to edit. I guess.

Pretty interesting. Apparently all the Marvel movies since Iron Man 2 have been shot using the same grading method, which is digital and very low on contrast, giving the movie’s kind of a blanket “muddy” (too much raw info, not enough saturation and contrast) which I had not previously noticed.

So yeah, taking an effective color movie like Fury Road (TONS of grading in that thing) and simply flipping the saturation down wouldn’t do the trick. Or it would, but it would probably be nigh unwatchable because the adjustments made for color would still be present in BW, and it would probably lead to a bit of a mess.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|