View Single Post
Old 06.30.2015, 10:38 AM   #1114
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Wait, scrap that... B4.DA.$$ and If You're Reading This... (which basically made me do yet another full 180° on Drake. I'm back to bangin' NWTS and Thank me Later and even Take Care, all because of the freshness of this "mixtape" (fuck it, it's an album).

B4.DA.$$ is an album I constantly forget about, but there's no damn reason for it. It's an immensely successful underground->pop crossover for Joey B. His "Long.Live.A$Ap", if you will.

It's totally solid and probably only fades from memory temporarily because it's such a fundamentally classic East Coast boom-bap record. It doesn't scale conceptual mountains or gestate in a womb of orchestral jazz Impressionism like Tetsuo. It doesn't swagger into a saloon wearing Spurs and six-guns, daring on-lookers to say somethin' stupid like ALLA. And of course it doesn't turn the rap album into a thousand page Bohemian novel about holidays in Perdition, social reform and reincarnation, like To Pimp A Butterfly.

It just more or less kills it. Joey Bada$$ is gimmick-less, much like his Flatbush familiars The Underachievers (who, as y'all know, I have a bit of a thingfor), and the album achieves something a perfect cosmic middle ground between Talib Kweli's conscious heroic "good guy" emcee and the fury of early Wu-Tang Clan, while still further establishing Joey's unique identity.

I feel bad for not mentioning it more, but please believe, I have been listening to B4.DA.$$ regularly all year long, my regard for the album growing all the time.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|