View Single Post
Old 02.15.2007, 09:23 PM   #28
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
Some of these posts are among the best reading I've seen on a fan board lately. Really good stuff people !

I don't know what to add...Rob, you've pegged it man..really pegged it !

I come from growing up with the pop 60s..into psychedelia...Zeppelin, that whole HEAVY thing..Deep Purple, Sabbath etc...then got into early mid 70s Prog Rock ala King Crimson, Yes, Gentle Giant, Zappa etc...so I really took a leap during that time..and got into Progressive Jazz as well. So in the mid 70s when everyone else was listening to Aerosmith, Journey, Nugent schlock...I had my nose in the air !! hahahah....nah, just listened to more engaging...INTELLIGENT music....!

After awhile I sorta reverted and seized the Punk thing...and even with that got into the 'progressive' punk...like how Wire evolved so quickly....and a few others that leaped like mad from punk to a more sophisticated sound...ala XTC.

I went to Hawaii and Jamaica alot in the mid 80s...sorta 'dropped out' of the music scene...then got back into it in the late 80s, early 90s...Talk Talk, The The, Sonic Youth, Soundgarden, Nirvana etc...mid 90s Portishead, Los Lobos, Sneaker Pimps, Lucious Jackson...others...

But I've always enjoyed a wide variety..something that grabs me...usually stuff that reveals itself more and more with repeated listenings...but not always...I like the simple too...

But SY is all of it to me...they go from the noise rock to beautiful 'pop' ...the most splendid 'pop' I've heard lately....like Incinerate. I dig it. And it's some of the most simple stuff SY has ever done....is it evolution or just something different ?..who knows...who knows what or why you'll enjoy something..it becomes so personal....

But this thread is great....hope I didn't bore you...

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|