View Single Post
Old 06.30.2013, 09:54 AM   #508
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Only the early 80s when they were actually FILMS and then got too popularized and became flicks. While the hallmark 80s slasher and horror flicks are entertaining, the film caliber stuff is superb and stand alone quality. I'd say the best eras in horror film was late 70s to the early 80s, and then the early to mid-1990s. The 2000s as essentially been to horror what the height of 80s cheese was..

In regards to horror flicks:

You must catch up with the John Carpenter back catalog. In particular the original Halloween, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and Into the Mouth of Madness.

Clive Barker's Lord of Illusions, Nightbreed, and the original Hellraiser are crucial.

I have to agree here... With this half of the post at least. The bottom is a little off... M. Night? Seriously?

The Orphanage, while terrifying, is not really a horror film. It's a thriller with ghosts in it. It has a happy(ish) ending, and it's only terrifying until the mystery is solved, and then it's just a little sad. Very well made film, though.

Pan's Labyrinth is also not horror. It's fantasy with some scary bits. Might as well call Lord of the Rings horror. Sorry.

But you're spot on about John Carpenter. The Thing and the first Halloween are absolute classics, and great films to boot.

I'm glad we all agree about the first Hellraiser. Better than the second. A completely original horror film. Nobody should ever punish themselves by watching the third, fourth, fifth, etc. Jesus Christ did those movies suck.

I actually enjoy some of the "flicks" of the '80s. I enjoy some of their 2000s reboots too. Namely Friday the 13th (kinda), and especially the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remakes.

But Rob Zombie's Halloween- his first Halloween- is fucking incredible. I may catch hell for it, but that man can make one hell of a horror film when he sets his mind to it and gets serious. The second one was disappointing, but I almost prefer his Halloween to Carpenter's. I think it is the best high profile slasher film in years and years. I saw it in the theatre on opening day, and I was mesmerized (not only by the tits of that lovely Sherrif's daughter) but by the eloquence and artistry behind those unbelievable gory, and ridiculously long "knife scenes." That was real edge of your seat shit. I've never seen a film that captivated its audience to endure such long and drawn out periods of discomfort.

I'm also a big fan of House of 1000 Corpses, but that was just playtime. Halloween was kind of a masterpiece, and it was scary as all hell.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|