View Single Post
Old 01.22.2016, 06:05 PM   #47732
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I was literally wondering when a new studio album might drop from the band. Since, you know, it's been three years since An Object.

I don't fuck with Instagram, and most of my music news comes from obvious places (here, Stereogum, pitchfork, blah), because I have no time whatsoever to regularly visit the official webpages of every band I like just to check and see if a new album is coming out.

This argument is unsustainable. You "have no time whatsoever", but posting that question here took you longer than it would have taken you to click on a simple website link. (Not to mention you do have all the time in the PLANET to bore us out of our screaming skulls with interminable and frequently pointless exegeses of every single goddamn song you can think of).

Just for the record, I don't "follow" anybody on Instagram, Facemook, Twatter, etc. — I don't even have the necessary accounts. But let's move on to the substantial shit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
also, I've always considered them more of a modern day Hüsker Dü. Which is kind of like saying Damaged-era Flag + MBV, innit? No Age's sound has a shit ton of Flip Your Wig in it. Moreso than just about anything else, in my opinion.

I've always had problems with phrases like "The [artist's name] of the [time period]"; they sound like "New Dylan", classic platitudes from incompetent writers. Having said that, YES, absolutely, there's a ton of Hüsker Dü in No Age; hell, the duo even filled up for Grant Hart and Greg Norton in 2009, with Randy Randall sporting a reasonable facsimile of Norton's famous handlebar moustache:

First time "In A Free Land" was performed since 1987, by the by. Of course, while no Hüskers album might be earnestly labeled "shoegaze" (dumb label that was, anyway), they were pathmakers from hardcore to a particular kind of melodic rock in which washes of massive guitar distortion colored it all. And then Sugar's records came out on Creation in the UK. All in all, I would like to point out that despite tremendous achievements like reinventing the psychedelic wheel with their cover of "Eight Miles High" (a major candidate for best cover EVER) and Zen Arcade, Hüsker Dü's approach was also a bit traditionalist, straightforward in a way. In that sense, No Age may be closer to a band like Mission Of Burma, who also wrote its share of "pop" songs but messed with electronics both in the studio and, more impressively, live.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|