View Single Post
Old 07.18.2010, 12:37 AM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Er, oh, I think the best experimental movies are the ones that pay attention to mainstream conventions; form, structure, etc. perhaps... or developing characters and so on.

On the other hand, I think the best so-called "mainstream" films are the ones that have a bit of an experimental edge, some avant garde parts, or just generally go against convention. You know that scene in the Dark Knight where the joker sticks his head out the window of a moving car for 20 seconds and the music cuts out and it gets completely silent? That is one of the best shots ever, in any movie, and yet it doesn't really make sense at all, and seems like something you'd see in a Godard film or something (the way it was shot and the silence and so on).

My favorite filmmakers tend to be the ones who can balance the artsiness/experimentation/conventional storytelling quite well.. Godard, Fassbinder, Kitano, Jost..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|