View Single Post
Old 06.23.2006, 01:04 AM   #1
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
I don't really like the word savvy. But anyway, I'm trying to get a new laptop for school and don't really know much about computers but know what I want to be able to do with one. I'm not really interested in gaming, but I watch a lot of films and I'm hoping it will replace my need for a TV. I also do video and music editing, and I tend to be a multi-tasker. Basically, I'm looking at the customization options on Dell, and don't really know how important certain upgrades are for what I'm looking for. Also, I'd like to keep the computer around or under $2000, and it needs to last me the next four years...

They list the Intel Core Duo Processors in 1.66 GHz all the way up to 2.16. How important is processor speed. I can't go up to 2.16 as it's way too big of a jump in money, but is it worth it to go to 1.83 or 2?

Next, how important is memory? Do I need 2 gigs for what I want to do, or is 1 gig fine?

Video and sound cards? I don't really know where to start on these...what would be ideal for what I want to do?

Anything else I should be aware of? I tried looking on google for all this stuff, but most of the information was really outdated. Is there something better than Dell...or rather cheaper? I've noticed some people on here that seem to have an interest in that sort of thing and wondered if anybody could help, as I don't know anybody else who could. It's frustrating trying to buy computers as the technology changes so fast. I really appreciate your help.
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|