View Single Post
Old 11.17.2008, 01:18 AM   #26
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
6-11: Listened to whatever was on the radio, usually picked by my older sister.
12-16: Very unusual time. Could appreciate classical, film scores, and some techno, but didn't listen to it actively. A little afraid of loud guitar-based stuff, which caused me to miss out on experiencing firsthand some of the stuff I worship today (Nirvana, Pantera, Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Radiohead, and of course, SY). Irony: learned basics of guitar in school at this time, but gave it up in about a year.
17: First exposure to real punk rock via hearing some punker chick's Aus Rotten tape. Started trying to experience music by looking at band tees, hanging around music nerds, and reading books about it-basically, doing everything but actually LISTENING to it.
18-19: My radio rock years. Totally into rap metal, pop punk, and industrial (of the Static-X/Orgy/Spineshank/Rammstein variety). Picked up the guitar again, but dabbled in keyboards first. Evicted from cableless home to cabled home, which gave access to MTV2, MTVX, and the 1st generation of Music Choice. Later, got into classic rock when I felt I'd heard everything on modern rock radio. Discovered Nirvana.
20: Discovered SY! Took real guitar lessons for a year. Discovered indie, Brit-rock and early punk (Sex Pistols, the Damned, etc.).
21-22: Music snob years. Despised (sp?) anything on the radio. Discovered classic alternative (Velvet Underground, the Pixies, the Cure, the Smiths, Joy Division). Decided to play some keyboard again.
23-24: Began listening to non-guitar based music more actively. Learned to appreciate jazz, funk, soul, R 'n' B, and some pop. Started playing with other people and formed first band. Really into Pink Floyd.
25 to present: I'll pretty much listen to anything as long as it doesn't annoy me in some way.