View Single Post
Old 05.18.2013, 02:04 PM   #295
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Terror is ok, but def my least fav Lips album in a while. It feels really aimless to me.

I haven't heard the new Deerhunter yet, but I will.

Shit man, you've got to hear it. Especially since it's perfectly legit now, having been released and all. I think this generation has found its Sonic Youth; only attention spans are too low to allow for this incarnation to devote 3 or 4 albums to noise and ambience. Things just move too fast these days. So instead of being at the Sister/DDN stage, Deerhunter is already making their EJS/Washing Machine.

As for the Lips... Listen to the Terror on good headphones. By yourself, while engaging in some menial muscle memory task like driving or doing office work or writing a paper. It's kind of overwhelming. It's loud and dense and pretty fucking enthralling. Honestly, it's unlike anything I've heard this year.

But back to hip hop. I just had a bunch of underground, "Mello Music Group" compilations and promos forced on me by a friend if mine who thinks that listening to Jay-Z, Kanye, and Wu-Tang makes me unsophisticated or something. Like I haven't listened to Black Milk before. Jesus...

It's not bad, but I used to be that kind of hip hop fan. If it was on the radio, it was "uninspired," and only the "intellectual" work of ATCQ and Del disciples was worth my time. I still like that nice guy shit- I like Sole and Aesop and Clouddead. But I also understand that RAP-rap is not stupid just because it's bombastic.

Jay-Z fuckin kills, and BIG is god. Wu Tang = the Beatles.

Still love Del and Madlib, but it's easier to write something off based on appearances that it is to appreciate subtle genius despite the occasional "H to tha Izzo"
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|