Thread: Sonic Twittin'
View Single Post
Old 01.20.2009, 11:36 PM   #97
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth Twitter About Their Recording Process

"john thinks he's teaching us a thing or two about feedback"

While I was at last weekend's Jemina Pearl show in Brooklyn, some enthusiastic stoner randomly tapped me on the shoulder. "Dude," he said, "I think that's Kim Gordon over there-- she's so hot!" Indeed, it was Kim Gordon. And yes, she looks great. (Thurston Moore, who also looks pretty incredible, was also at the gig.) These two do not grow old, except when they're doing so gracefully, like on 2006's Rather Ripped.
It's impressive that Kim and Thurston had time to check the show out at all considering they're in the mixing stage of their Matador debut-- which is out this summer and may or may not be called The Eternal-- with veteran boardsman John Agnello (Dinosaur Jr., the Hold Steady, Rather Ripped) right now. How do we know what Sonic Youth are doing right now, you ask? Because they have a Twitter account. Even the coolest band on earth needs to micro-overshare once in a while.

So far, the feed is quite straightforward ("today's song is called sacred trickster"), but there are mini moments of levity ("john thinks he's teaching us a thing or two about feedback"). Last week, Thurston told Billboard that the album will feature more than a few "heavy ass weirdo hooks" and that "it's rock-centric, but still experimental...I still don't know how to play the guitar." So those hoping for Sonic Youth's dubstep treatise on the legacy of Robert Mapplethorpe will have to wait.

Of course, Sonic Youth are diversifying their bonds elsewhere. There's that book of short stories based on their songs. That museum exhibition based on their "multidisciplinary output." The dance program collaboration with John Paul Jones. They're playing gigs in Austria, Germany and Brooklyn. We're tired.

Moshe is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|