View Single Post
Old 09.18.2013, 01:43 PM   #1079
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Fugees "The Score"
This might be the most substantive and intellectual of rap groups to dominate the mainstream radio. This album is noticeably subversive, and yet it spawned top-40 radio hits? Lauren Hill paved the way for the Beyonce era, and she did without having to shake her ass, rather by speaking her mind. Too bad it got to her head. I think Fugees paved the way for Roots/Hieroglyhics/Outkast/Black Eyed Peas era in the early 2000s when for a brief window, actual HIP-HOP rather than rap took over the radio. I think that was actually a better era than the 80s or 90s, even if those aren't my favorite groups. Intelligent and well-crafted hip-hop had heavy rotation and radio airplay. It ain't been revived either..

You know, "Killing Me Softly" might be the only rap single EVER that my moms was always singing and fell in love with.. That I think was the massive appeal of The Fugees, they lured in a lot of pop and mainstream people through some of their singles which were like the top tracks of the year all over the radio. It was a for better or worse situation, the fame clearly got to their heads, the way it did Tupac and other underground artists when they suddenly became the It Group (Black Eyed Peas, you know I'm looking at y'all, and Fergie, seriously, chick you are too buff, it always looks to me like she is wearing shoulder pads and I ain't talking about those Delta Burke 1980s lame kind of shoulder pads, I'm talking about NFL linebacker full-contact pads )

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|