View Single Post
Old 12.09.2015, 11:07 AM   #47567
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I was surprised when the teacher (who, ostensibly, was an expert in this kind of crap) actually managed to thread together a cohesive and believable narrative to the song, line by line.

Isn't this story more about lunatic exegesis than SM's words? Dude, going from "career" to "Korea" sounds cool. That's it. End of story. I suppose I could pull out my Derrida and write up 1000 words (Times New Roman, double-spaced, due by Friday) arguing otherwise, but I'd have to be paid a lot.

And anyway, I'd still secretly believe that SM's words are about sounding cool. And they do sound cool, especially at the beginning. My only point is he's shallow, has never developed (he's actually gotten worse) and clearly doesn't have a coherent thought to share with the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I'm more of a music guy than a lyrics guy, really. The lyrics are just a vehicle for the vocal instrument to join in and be part of the music.

Plus lyricists who take themselves too seriously almost always suck.

Which makes me appreciate the good ones all the more. Besides, there are a number of very good and funny lyricists. Even Leonard Cohen has a sense of humor. I'm hard pressed to think of a great writer without wit. You're basically saying writers who suck suck.

Wait, I thought your beef against Zep was Plant's dick-waving words?

Bad lyrics distract, good lyrics are a nice treat on top, and great lyrics are an integral part of the song itself. I don't think one could swap out nursery rhymes for "It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" and still hope to achieve the same effect. People join hands and sing the words to "We Shall Overcome," they don't just hum the tune. Some words have mattered a hell of a lot.

But I'll agree music is usually more important. I can think of exactly one artist I sometimes listen to whose words are amazing and whose music I don't care much for: Randy Newman. His lyrics are punk as fuck, but there are only about five or six tunes I really like.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|