View Single Post
Old 01.30.2007, 07:53 PM   #46
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Oh, come on now... the only time I saw them live MES looked more like a clown than as a scientist to me... he was drunk, he walked off halfway during the encore and he was backed by a bunch of pub rockers indeed, like others have stated in this thread. It really turned me off of them for quite some time.

I like the classic era Fall as much as the next person, but I sometimes wonder why they're too holy to be subject to criticism for quite a few people on this board. Maybe I'm just not British enough? Or maybe none of the Fall-disciples has seen them live recently? One-liners like "you don't get it", "he's a genius", etc don't really help a non-believer like me in understanding what makes him still an amazing musician these days other than living of the reputation of past achievements.
A few things:
I don't revere Mark E Smith as a God almighty figure and certainly don't consider him a dogmatic figure in many ways but i'll give him the benefit that he incorporates the english language in more interesting settings than most people will ever be able to achieve in three lifetimes.His live outings are often erratic and they don't bother me much because the the last time i've seen him live was quite a while ago and even then i was not expecting much.I'm not British but i can appreciate a living blank canvas when it's been worked on as much as the next person.Call it an artistic cop-out or whatever but that's the way it feels.Attending a bad Fall gig certainly is not excuse for forming a definite opinion on just about anything,let alone The Fall themselves.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|