View Single Post
Old 08.23.2007, 01:36 PM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

SWERVEDRIVER "RAISE"
Creation/AM, 1991

1. Sci-flyer
2. Pile-up
3. Son Of Mustang Ford
4. Deep Seat
5. Rave Down
6. Sunset
7. Feel So Real
8. Sandblasted
9. Lead Me Where You Dare

Ah, Swervedriver.. I have many fond memories of blasting this album while cruising in the summer time (even though I've only been able to drive two years). I'm sure most people on this board know Swervedriver, but to those who don't, they're basically a rock band draped in huge guitar noise; shoegaze but a bit more straightforward and melodic.. their guitarist called their sound "space travel rock'n'roll", which -- while pretentiously stupid sounding -- isn't far from the truth. Two defects that could make this band terrible to the eyes of the uninitiated: they're compared to Dinosaur Jr for some reason (they like loud guitars and solo sometimes? -- the difference is, the guy in swervedriver can actually sing quite well) and they're very British (no offense, it just turns some people off). But that's okay, because in spite of that, they're a perfect band!

Every track on "Raise" demands to be played at loud volume.. from the amazing "Sci-Flier" to the mindblowing -- and I say that because it's one of my favorite songs of all time -- "Son of Mustang Ford", the album is just loaded with classic "shoegaze" material... it's loud, it's innovative, it's filled with effects, it's all over the place, yet it's strangely accessible. And even though all of Swervedriver's material is consistently good, I rank this one as a "classic'' album because it's their most concisive; it flows together really well and it's not as loaded with songs as the other ones (though it's still quite long), so the effect of the music never becomes overwhelming or boring. The sequencing on this album is perfect and actually shows consideration to the listener... it seems like everything about the album was balanced just right for maximum listener comfort. It's odd, and I don't hear that in many albums of this nature (which usually have many moments of awkward feedback intros and effects-driven segues that go nowhere).

Masterfully produced and played and filled to the brim with beautiful sonic textures, this is without a doubt one of the defining albums of the shoegaze movement and perhaps still an overlooked classic. Also, one of the songs on here was used in a kickball scene in an episode of "Pete and Pete". Highly reccomended!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|