View Single Post
Old 08.27.2015, 08:36 PM   #18959
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I forgot Wag The Dog. Brilliant! Great Expectaions was his last really dating role choice, I think, as that movie could have been extremely pitiful, and the part is a small but very important one.

His early '90s films were brilliant too. Awakenings, Goodfellas, Cape Fear.. He really crushed it back then, and was as much a living legend as Nicholson or Pacino. But yeah, aside from Silver Linings Playbook, which was still a pretty comfortable role for him, but one that he knocked out of the park even so, he's just been having a nonsense career since 2000.

A few thoughts:

• he hasn't been working with Scorcese, and he hasn't been able to establish the same sort of "home plate" relationship with any of Scorcese's modern counterparts.

• Scorcese has a new DeNiro figure in Leonardo DiCaprio, and he's turned him into a damn fine actor along the way.

• All the big character roles that might have gone to DeNiro, had he been of age, went almost directly to Russel Crowe (for a while) and Daniel Day Lewis, and such like, as soon as he 00's hit.

• remember how he had sort of a Christian Bale-like "difficult to work with" thing going on back in the day? That couldn't have helped.

Shit though, I miss him! He was my favorite actor for years. I know he's still got the chops, but Christ... Bruce Willis has aged more gracefully!

Poor Bob.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|