View Single Post
Old 04.13.2017, 03:01 AM   #4
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
I can maybe see the logic behind market forces dictating this sort of thing. Their job is to make money, not stretch people's horizons... although it's fucking absurd that Kate Bush could be seen as some kind of out there artist to book... but that's the state of culture I guess.

What's worse is when state-sponsored events or programming follows this same logic. There needs to be somewhere where things that OUGHT to be heard are heard, irrespective of their market value at this current time.

But sometimes it goes the other way... I'm from Adelaide and for our state's big arts festival they booked the Wayne Shorter Quartet as the feature artist for one of the major events... not realizing that he wasn't doing his catchy '60s hard bop these days. So I sat in a packed out 6000 capacity theatre watching extremely free modern jazz, while a procession of people walked out. One of the best/worst things I've ever seen
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|