View Single Post
Old 05.23.2006, 08:41 AM   #61
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
val-holla-ing
Quote:
we're not talking validity or subgenres or any of that shit
actually, that is what the thread started out as. the thread started out as who do you consider to be the most important women in rock. assblaster thought our answers were a little too "vanilla." i used your list of artists to choose from to illustrate my point that the actual pool for important women of african descent in ROCK history was not all that large. in order for someone to be IMPORTANT in rock, there must be no question that they are rock. if there's a doubt, the importance goes down. and hey, i do have "the glamorous life" by sheila e sandwiched on my ipod somewhere between shannon's "let the music play" and "morning train" by sheena easton (that's not even a joke.) i just don't consider it rock, though she does rock. and lenny kravitz himself is by all means rock, which would mean someone in his band is - but if you go out and ask 100 people on the street who cindy blackmon is by name alone, i'd be surprised if even five people knew, hence the importance argument more over the rock argument.

somehow this thread started out as a thread about primarily white women and now is a thread about black men. where is assblaster now to complain how racist we are for not giving the black men a thread of their own? (maybe at home memorizing the extras on his Crash dvd???)

since now it appears we've gone beyond rock, i will throw out my favorite african-american female recording artists (to get back to the female part) and i will say lauren hill and erykah badu. if we go to jazz, nina simone rules all, followed closely by cassandra wilson. i list them as my favorite and not most important in any genre's history, with exception of nina simone. nina simone has true importance due to her part in the civil rights movement.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|