View Single Post
Old 04.19.2007, 04:42 AM   #32
sarramkrop

"Army Of Me" - Bjork
In her "Post" book, she writes: " 'Army Of Me' is about Morrissey, or anyone who feels they can't cope". The song originally included a line mentioning Morrissey, something like "stop acting like Morrissey". It could be a coincidence echoing a line in the Smiths' "Ask", but in the video for the song, a timebomb with the word "Smith" on it bring her and her friend/lover together.

"England's Dreaming" - Cornershop
A song includes the line: "I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, fight the power!". From the 10" EP "Lock, Stock, and Double Barelled". Also on the "Hold On It Hurts" album. Both from 1992 on Merge Records. At the time, Cornershop used the alleged racism rumours to protest against Morrissey and make the music papers mention them.

"Fairies Panic" - Black Smiths
The Black Smiths cover Smiths songs mashed with Black Sabbath songs (see more in this list). They are sold on cd at their gigs and downloadable from their website. This one features bits from the Smiths' "Panic".

"For Steven Patrick" - Durutti Column (Vini Reilly)
On his 1990 "Sporadic Recordings" album and the augmented 2002 reissue "The Return Of The Sporadic Recordings". Vini Reilly collaborated with Morrissey on Viva Hate and his first solo singles.

"Heaven Knows One's Miserable Now" - Spitting Image
Parody of Princess Di singing her own lyrics to the Smiths' "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now".

"Maf" - Momus
From the 1999 album "Stars Forever". Includes the line "I made my confession to Didsbury police / I'd hoped to kill Morrissey, but neither of us could get arrested". The song is about a Morrissey fan named Maf, "the alter ego of a Leeds Morrissey fan called Matthew".

"Morrisey" - Anal Cunt
Their producer's name is Tina Morrisey but it seems the song is still about the singer. It is the same for their song "Johnny Violent Getting His Ass Kicked By Morrisey" on their "40 More Reasons To Hate Us" on Earache Records.

"Picture Of Dorian Grey" - The Television Personalities
From their 1984 live album "Chocolat-Art". With the lines: "We sit by a river, drinking lemon tea, eating tiny cucumber sandwiches made by Morrissey". The Television Personalities would often tell jokes about The Smiths in concert, or change lyrics to mention the Smiths or Morrissey. For example, they did change the song "I Know Where Syd Barrett Lives" to "I Know Where Steven Morrissey Lives". They also did very short songs live, made from lyrics from early Smiths singles.

"Stephen, It Was Really Something" - Associates
This is a riposte to the Smiths' "William It Was Really Nothing" which was allegedly about Associates singer Billy Mackenzie. The song remained unreleased for many years until the 2000 rarities compilation album "Double Hipness" on V2 Records.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|