View Single Post
Old 08.03.2008, 11:33 AM   #10
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
iannis xenakis (hes not jazz, but if you like this stuff, you must hear him, hes the best composr of the 20th century, and my hero)
peter brotzzman
art ensemble of chicago
sun ra
archie sheep
cecil taylor
bill dixon
pharoah sanders
kaoru abe
masoyoshi urabe
masayuki takayanagi
derek bailey
sonny sharrock
wadada leo smith
otomo yoshihide (has worked in noise and noise rock, but recently has created some phenomenal free improv music)
mingus's pithecanthropus erectus, a landmark
some anthony braxton (not all his stuff is jazz)
william parker
james 'blood' ulmer
assif tsahar
rashied ali
alice coltrane
rahsaan rolland kirk
ken vandermark
weasel walter's solo stuff
mats gustaffson/the thing

free jazz/avant jazz is my third or second favorite 'genre' of music ever. all of the people mentioned above blow me the fuck away.

Pretty much "what he said". Although it's by no means "The Greatest Avant-garde/Free-jazz Album", I feel I should recommend Larry Young's Lawrence Of Newark, because it's a great one that you're unlikely to come across yourself. No especial reason to single it out, I just really dig it at the moment. Although in light of the above list, it should be noted that it features both James 'blood' Ulmer and Pharaoh Sanders (well actually it's "Mystery Guest" on soprano sax, but it's widely believed to be Pharaoh Sanders). So just stick that on a list to get to some time.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|