View Single Post
Old 02.15.2011, 03:13 PM   #58
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
The beat on that new Tyler track is sick. Really really addictive.

Having said that, I kinda wish a gay rapper (or anyone, really) would step up and create a counterpoint/dialog to this bullshit empty shock posturing Odd Future seem to be getting away with. Why, lyrically, is talking about faggots and bitches still considered revolutionary? I don't buy this whole "I'm only mirroring my reality" bullshit anymore - there's an asymmetry to a lot of their lyricism that feels really tiring. And i say this as a die-hard hip hop fan. I guess there's been slightly less overt homophobia in mainstream rap and it now becomes acceptable and edgy to start railing against faggots? Whenever pitchfork indie culture machine et. al writes about hip hop, it's always treated as some kind of subaltern place, like they need to change their critical lenses or something since they're so unequipped, or they're afraid to touch on issues like political economy without it looking like white tastemakers admonishing "black art." I wish there were more artists producing WORK that critically engages with this stuff.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|