Thread: Drive Like Jehu
View Single Post
Old 08.06.2013, 07:23 PM   #7
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I used to be a really big fan of Jehu. I think their sound in general was more influential to me than their actual music was. I was still young when Yank Crime cane out, but when I heard it 1997 or so, it sounded like the perfect example lf what I wanted music to sound like. They helped me track down some of the bands I loved most in high school, and helped me appreciate the influence of Fugazi and Slint even more.

I don't really have that Jehu mentality anymore, and on retrospect I realize that they were only one of many bands sporting that geometric, angular post-punk sound at the time. Now they sound a bit boring to me, but I don't think I will ever forget them for showing me that punk was not for dyed haired kids alone.

"Do You Compute" is still probably one of my favorite songs of all time; but they kicked some ass, and kicked it hard. I never did see them play live. I saw Hot Snakes, who I've never really gotten into, but I regret not seeing then during their prime.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|